About this place
Formerly mistakenly called “Fort Mahon,” the Fort d’Ambleteuse was built between 1682 and 1690 based on Vauban’s plans. Louis XIV had ordered its construction to protect the city.
It is referred to as a Napoleonic fort because it was restored and rearmed in 1802 by Napoleon.
The fort consists of an entrance courtyard, a casemate tower with a ring vault, an upper battery, a lower battery, and three levels of artillery emplacements. The Romans had already built a tower at this site, which was later converted by the English in 1544. This “castle of the seas” was a strategic location because, opening directly onto the English Channel, it was visible for miles around. This location made the fort impregnable.
Falling into ruin very quickly due to the elements and disuse, the fort was acquired by private individuals and restored. Abandoned and in ruins once again after the war, it was purchased in 1967 for a symbolic 1 franc by the association “Les amis du Fort d’Ambleteuse.”
Thanks to this effort, this historically designated monument is now open to visitors and awaits you, standing isolated on the banks of the Slack and its coastal dunes.